Privacy Notice – Nominations
A credit union is a member-owned financial cooperative, democratically controlled by its members, and operated for the purpose of promoting thrift, providing credit at competitive rates, and providing other financial services to its members. Data collection, processing and use are conducted solely for the purpose of carrying out the abovementioned objectives.
Our contact details are:
Address: 1 The Diamond, Ballycastle, Co.Antrim, BT54 6AW
Phone: 028 207 62188
Data Protection Officer/Representative
Phone: 028 207 62188
Ballycastle Credit Union is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information. This privacy notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you before and after the nomination process.
- The ability of a member over the age of 16 to nominate individuals to receive property in their credit union account on their death is a unique facility available for credit union members under the credit union legislation by which we operate. The nominated property does not form part of a deceased person’s estate.
- The member may nominate a person(s) of choice to receive their property (i.e. shares) in the credit union presently up to a maximum value of £10,000. Any amount in excess of this balance forms part of the member’s estate and must be dealt with in accordance with the law.
- The information relating to you as nominee has been provided to us by the member during their lifetime.
- A member may change the details of their nomination as often as they like during the course of their membership with the credit union. In addition, there may be instances where a nomination is revoked through marriage or civil partnership, or the death of the nominee before the nominating member. There is therefore no guarantee that a nomination will be valid until the member has passed away and the validity of the nomination is confirmed by the credit union. As such, we are unable to contact individuals directly to advise them that we are processing their information.
- Where a member makes a nomination, we are required under the credit union legislation by which we operate to keep a record of all persons nominated (along with any revocation or variation of any nomination).
- As this is the first time we have communicated with you in relation to the nomination, we are required under data protection legislation to provide you with the information contained within this privacy notice.
Why we collect the information and how we use it
We may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- Your name, address, relationship to member, date of birth and contact telephone number.
We need the categories of information in the list above to allow us to record your details in our register of nominations, identify you, to contact you and then upon orderupon the passing of the member, to process the nomination (subject to a valid nomination) and transfer any nominated property to you, the nominee(s).
How we collect the information
We collect personal information about nominees from the following sources:
- Nomination form completed by the member.
How we may share the information
We may also need to share some of the above categories of personal information with other parties, such as the Irish League of Credit Unions (ILCU) and our professional advisers such as solicitors or auditors. Usually, information will be anonymised but this may not always be possible. The recipient of the information will be bound by confidentiality obligations. We may also be required to share some personal information as required to comply with the law.
Data Retention Periods
We will retain permanently, your name in our register of nominations. Member nomination forms (and any other documentation related to the nomination will be retained for a period of six years after the relationship with the member has ended (e.g. the member passing away).
Once the retention period has expired, the respective data will be permanently deleted If you require further information please contact us. For a copy of our data retention schedule please contact our main office on 028 207 62188 or email firstname.lastname@example.org